A partly elected, partly nominated Legislative Council was established for the governance of the Northern Territory between 1947 and 1974.  Five redistributions were carried out – the first in 1947 for six elected members, the second in 1959 when the number of elected members was increased to eight, 1962 when Aboriginals were given the vote, 1965 and lastly in 1968 when elected members increased to eleven.  

The first distribution into 19 electoral divisions for a wholly elected legislature for the Northern Territory was established by the Minister for the Territory in early 1974 and reported in September 1974. A redistribution in 1977 took account of population movements following Cyclone Tracy. 

Following self-government in 1978, electoral terms were extended from three to a maximum of four years. Set term elections every four years became effective in 2012.

Early distributions were carried out by a three person Distribution Committee, comprising the Chief Electoral Officer, the Surveyor-General and a person appointed by the Administrator.  Suggestions were submitted to the Committee which released a proposed map, received objections and forwarded a report to the Minister for tabling in, and the approval of, the legislature.

Since the passing of the 2004 Electoral Act, a three person Redistribution Committee receives suggestions and releases a proposal; an Augmented Redistribution Committee then receives objections and produces an independent report, which is final.

The following table indicates all electoral boundary deliberations for a wholly elected Northern Territory Legislative Assembly since 1974.  

​​Year
​No. Single Member Divisions
​Election Effective
​1974 ​19 ​October 1974
​1977 ​19 ​August 1977, June 1980
​1983 ​25 ​December 1983
​1986 ​25 ​March 1987
​1990 ​25 ​October 1990
​1993 ​25 ​June 1994
​1997 ​25 ​August 1997
​2000 ​25 August 2001
​2004 ​25 ​June 2005
​2008 ​25 ​August 2008
​2011 ​25 ​August 2012