Yes. It is compulsory to enrol if you:

  • are 18 years or older, and
  • are an Australian citizen, or British subject who was on the electoral roll on 25 January 1984, and
  • have lived at your current address for the last month.

You can also enrol when you are 16 years old, but you cannot vote until you turn 18. If you are provisionally enrolled and turn 18 before or on a polling day, you can vote even though you may not have been 18 when the rolls for the election closed.