Broadcasters and publishers must lodge an election return after each Northern Territory Legislative Assembly election and by-election.
What is reported?
Broadcasters and publishers must lodge a return for each TV/ radio station listing:
- Details of all electoral advertisement broadcast during a LA election,
- Details of all electoral advertisements published during a LA election and by-election.
Reporting period/due date for lodgement
- Returns are due 8 weeks after polling day, and
- Returns are available for public inspection at NTEC offices and summaries on this website from the start of the twenty-fifth week after polling day.
- The onus is on the person disclosing to get it right
- A return is not required if the total for all advertisements broadcast or published is less than $1000
- The return should show sufficient information regarding each ad placement to allow the NTEC to follow up for checking back against candidate and party returns
- Disclosure amounts are inclusive of GST, and
- Details of advertisements for parties or candidates broadcast or published at no charge or below commercial rates are regarded as donations and separate reporting is required – more information is available under financial disclosure – donors to parties and candidates.